Last Mile Delivery
Last mile delivery is the final step in the delivery process and a good last mile delivery is key to customer satisfaction. At the same time, it’s the most time-consuming and expensive mile in the shipping process, representing 44 to 52% of handling costs.
Getting unique shipments to distinct and sometimes difficult-to-reach destinations safely and on-time takes a highly skilled delivery team, and when you add in customer availability, the potential for theft, and the unpredictability of urban and rural deliveries, the possibility for failure is high. And when your delivery fails, your end-customer is unhappy, and that hurts both your reputation and your bottom line.
Here at Blue Eagle Logistics, we believe the number one thing you can do to ensure a safe and timely delivery is to know your freight. When you supply us with complete and accurate information you can help prevent delays in service and unforeseen costs to serve.
Many factors are essential for a smooth last mile delivery.
Know Your Freight Checklist!
- Know freight dimensions, weight, cargo type, and stackability.
- Is dock to dock or liftgate required?
- In the case of residential deliveries: is the property accessible to the truck needed to make the delivery?
- Is there a security gate?
- Good contact names, phone numbers, and email addresses.
- Are appointments required? If so what tracking or PO numbers are necessary for the consignee to schedule an appointment? What PO numbers will be accepted at the appointment?
- Is the cargo hazardous? Does the freight need special handling because people might be concerned it is hazardous?
- Can this freight be handled by one person; or will additional labor be required?
Here at Blue Eagle Logistics, our job is to keep your freight moving safely and on time. Incomplete information makes our job more difficult and endangers the safe and timely delivery of your freight. Use this handy Know Your Freight checklist and reap the benefits of happy customers and on-time deliveries.